Join your fellow George Watts parents for a special Parent Engagement & Advocacy Workshop Sunday Oct. 30th, 3pm-5pm, George Watts Media Center.
Childcare and Refreshments Provided.
Students with involved parents tend to do better in school. Workshop will cover tips and techniques for maximizing conference time.
- Parent-teacher conferences are one of the most underutilized tools for both parents and teachers.
- The average conference lasts only 20 minutes – learn what you need to know to be prepared to get the most out of your parent-teacher conference time!
- Workshop will also cover need-to-know information for navigating Watts and DPS. Every child needs an informed advocate to succeed in school – join us to learn what you need to know!
¡Venga y aprenda la importancia de las reuniones entre Padres y Maestros y como esta alianza entre la familia y la escuela nos ayuda a fortalecer a nuestro estudiante! ¿Por qué es importante su asistencia?
El día del taller puede llevar a su hijo (de edad escolar) al gimnasio y los padres se reunirán en la biblioteca.
- Los estudiantes que tienen padres involucrados en su educación, les va mejor en la escuela.
- La reunión con los maestros es una herramienta que a veces desaprovechamos.
- Hablaremos de sugerencias para sacar provecho de la reunión con los maestros.
- ¡En promedio la reunión con el maestro solo dura 20 minutos – aprenda como preparase para sacar provecho de este tiempo de conferencia entre el padre y el maestro!
- Daremos información importante sobre Watts y las Escuelas Públicas de Durham (DPS)
Para ser exitosos en la escuela, los niños necesitan un defensor informado que lo apoye – ¡Acompáñenos para aprender lo que necesita saber!
Para mayor información o para registrarse comuníquese con: Español: Angie Schiavone firstname.lastname@example.org 919‐599‐6670 o Inglés: Donna Rewalt email@example.com 919‐560‐0538
- Sunday, Oct. 23rd: The Parents of African American Children (PAAC), a subcommittee of the PTA will meet from 3-5 in the Media Center. Childcare will be provided. All parents are invited to attend.
- Monday, Oct. 24th: Morale Monday–teacher/staff breakfast and lunch buffet. Please drop off food at carpool or in teacher workroom 7:30-7:45a
- Monday, Oct. 24th: Literacy Night: 5:30-7p in the Media Center
- Friday, Oct. 28: Primary’s “Grace & Courtesy” snack, 1p for parents of Pre-K and K students (in your child’s classroom).
Urgent meeting of the Pre-K Fee Committee
When: Tuesday October 18 from 6 – 7:30 PM
Where: George Watts Montessori Media center (enter through the main door on Watts St; parking at the side and on the streets)
Why: Discuss how to represent the George Watts and Morehead Montessori school community at the upcoming DPS Board of Education (BoE) meeting on October 27, where implementation of sliding scale fees for GWM and MM will be open to public comment
Who: Open meeting for anyone who wants to attend
The Board of Education (BoE) decided on Oct 6 to implement sliding scale fees for our two schools. The topic will be brought up at the Oct 27 BoE meeting to allow public comment. Many parents have expressed concerns, so we decided to hold another meeting of our committee tonight to discuss what is known about the plan, identify level of support and issues/concerns, and perhaps arrange speakers to address the support and concerns raised by the GW and Morehead Montessori communities.
We look forward to seeing you on Tuesday,
-Tom Wenger and Anna Gassman-Pines
Co-Chairs, Morehead and George Watts Montessori Pre-K Fee Committee
Please join us for a Hispanic Heritage Month Potluck Dinner and Celebration
Monday, October 10, 2016; 5:30-7:00 pm in the George Watts Elementary School Gym
Please bring a labeled Latin or Spanish dish for the potluck dinner at 5:30 pm. Families are welcomed to bring cultural items to display, and children will share their Hispanic Heritage Month work. We will enjoy student presentations as well as dances from Latin American countries at 6 pm. For more information about Hispanic Heritage Month, please go to: http://hispanicheritagemonth.gov/.
Vengan a compartir con nosotros ¡El Mes de la Tradición Hispana! Celebremos y compartamos la cena
lunes el 10 de octubre de 2016; 5:30 – 7:00 de la noche en el gimnasio de la escuela George Watts
Por favor traigan un plato de comida típica para compartir a las 5:30. También les invitamos a traer objetos culturales de su país de origen para exhibirlos. Vamos a disfrutar juntos de presentaciones, bailes y danzas de países hispanos a las 6. Para más información sobre el mes de tradición hispana, visiten: http://hispanicheritagemonth.gov/.
The PTA board voted on October 3, 2016 to approve new guidelines for the PTA listserv. You can view them online here. Here are some key points:
POSTING A MESSAGE
● Who can post a message: Any listserv member can post a message on the listserv by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Message approval: The Watts PTA listserv is moderated. Messages are pre-approved by the listserv moderator(s) or PTA Board.
● Signing a message: Messages should be signed with the originator’s name and relationship to the Watts community. (For example, “Jane Doe, mother of a 3rd grader.”)
MESSAGE TOPICS AND CONTENT
● Message topics: Messages on any topic relevant to Watts, the PTA, and the surrounding community are appropriate. This includes messages on sensitive or controversial topics.
● Commercial messages: Messages promoting commercial or personal businesses are not allowed.
● Political campaigning: The listserv cannot be used for political campaigning. The Watts PTA is exempt from federal income taxes because it is a non-partisan non-profit organization. Political issues, however, can be discussed.
● Copyrighted material: Copyrighted material cannot be posted without the permission of the copyright owner. Instead, a link to the material should be provided.
The PTA budget for 2016/2017 was approved at the meeting. We are excited to get to work on the many projects for the year. The budget was discussed and voted on by the PTA Board, including Watts administration and PTA Board Teacher Liaison, over the past month, and then was shared on the PTA listserv and with Watts teachers and staff last week. We appreciate the questions that were asked at the meeting. As a reminder, the budget is a living document – it can be changed, shared school-wide, and then voted on at a PTA membership meeting at any time.
As always, if you have questions or concerns about the budget or ideas for future projects and initiatives, please contact contact me, email@example.com, or any other board member. We look forward to hearing from you.
Have a great week,
Elizabeth Lindquist, George Watts PTA President